Dear Kate & Brett -
I hope that as you grow up, Daddy and I do a good enough job of teaching how you should treat other people. All people - not just the ones that are like you, that agree with you, that don't challenge your ideas. Our country seems so full of anger and hatred right now. I'm not sure when it became okay to threaten people because you disagree with them. When it became okay for leaders and people who want to be leaders to suggest, recommend or condone violence toward our fellow citizens. I was not around during the civil rights movement. I didn't experience first hand how cruel people could be toward each other because of the color of their skin. I really thought maybe our world had moved past that. I watch you as you make new friends and see that you don't see a difference. I'm so glad for that. I hope that our world is not turning back and becoming that horrible place that it once was. I don't want to have to fear for my life or the safety of my family because I say something that others disagree with. I am scared of this world we are in right now. I've never understood using violence because of ignorance, especially when someone says they are "god-fearing Christians". I hate that someone would use Christ in that way. All the reasons Daddy rejects church.
Hopefully, we walk the walk as well as talk the talk of being tolerant and respectful of others and their opinions. I hope someone will step forward and be a true leader and stop all of this hatred. I hope and I pray.
Love, Mom
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

great post...well said...very true! I hope it is known that not everyone who claims to believe in God, acts the way you describe above and uses their faith or values as an excuse. I think it is terrible to use violence, act out, or any of that just because we disagree. praying things work out!
ReplyDelete