I've started a new job. Didn't quit the old one, just added another. I know, I am my mother's daughter. I am now an OB clinical instructor at Johnson County Community College. It started out that I would be covering a 12 hour shift at St. Joseph Hospital for an instructor out on maternity leave for the fall semester. I was super excited when I found out I'd gotten the position. I've always wanted to be a clinical instructor. I had such an awesome instructor - Kathy - when I was in nursing school. She inspired me to become a labor nurse and want to be a clinical instructor. A big thanks to Laura Sulentic for referring me for the position too! Well, as usual, something else came up and they needed someone to cover Tueday & Wednesday 8 hour shifts at my hospital. How could I pass that up? Learning a new skill in a place that I am most comfortable? It could only help me at my Thursday clinical, right? So now I'm doing both. That means 3 days of clinicals, Tuesday-Thursday and then my usual Friday & Saturday nights of regular work. Whew! I haven't worked 5 days a week - ever!
It's been two weeks now and I've been re-evaluating my decision. I'm really enjoying the clinicals - just missing my family. Somedays I feel like I'm letting them down by not being there and keeping up on things. It's only for the month of September I keep telling myself - and everyone else! I'm just feeling a little guilty.
I miss sending Kate off to school with a good bye kiss.

I miss spending every waking moment with my little buddy.

Maybe this is good for me though. I am definitly appreciating my time with them more. And remembering why I don't work the day shift!
more power to ya! don't know how you do it!!! i am SO nervous to get back into the hospital. I have orientation tues and wed and then my first shift on friday this week. I know you are a great instructor!!!! keep up the good work!
ReplyDelete